But is it a constitutional violation? I would tend to agree that the government ought to accommodate religious associations and give them equal access to government facilities and should grant religious associations exemptions from certain non-discrimination rules that apply to secular organizations.

But, should this be a constitutional rule? Isn't the "all comers" rule a quintessential neutral rule of general applicability so religious organizations are bound by it? So no free exercise violation.

Isn't a rule that says "only those who abid by our non-discrimination policy are entitled to government benefits" (like funding, certification, contracts) constitutional under every theory?

And no one is stopping CLS or any other organization from freedom of association or freedom of speech. And Rosenberger shows how far freedom of speech can push the government to support religion. (If we apply Rosenberger we get the result that there is no establishment if the university exempts CLS, right?)

So, those wanting to further constitutionalize church and state relations fail on the religion clause and equal protection, fail on freedom of association and freedom of speech grounds.

So we come to a new version of constitutionalizing church and state relations -- government sponsorship of religious groups that discriminate on banned bases under an "expressive association" theory. (For you originalists, where is that in the constitution?)

No. This battle belongs in the political processes, not in the Constitution. If the CLS case is so strong on the merits of fairness and equality and expression and association, why isn't it implemented through the political process? Because people are evil and out to get CLS? Nah. It is because people want to reduce discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation.

But, like so many things, we tend to make such matters constitutional issues and so this is as well, no doubt.

As a policy matter, I would exempt religious organizations from this particular non-discrimination, equal treatment requirement -- it really is not the same as race. But, I'm not at all sure I would reach the same result as a constitutional question.

Religion is different and requires different treatment. Not all speech and association rules apply to trump that difference.

Steve Jamar