>               I’m no great fan of the more expansive readings of Shelly.
> But when a government actor is deciding who gets a particular (lucrative)
> position based on that person’s religion, it seems to me that state action
> is eminently present, or more specifically that the government actor is
> discriminating based on religion in presumptive violation of the Free
> Exercise Clause and the First Amendment.  To be sure, the government actor
> isn’t motivated by religious animus; it’s just trying to enforce a
> contract.  But it is still deliberately treating people different from other
> people based on whether they are Muslims or not.  (When the court just
> enforces an arbitration conducted by a private party, there is not such
> discrimination by a government entity, even if the private party
> discriminates based on religion or sex in selecting the arbitrators.)

Why say that the government is discriminating on the basis of religion if it
is simply apply neutral principles of contract law.  I understand that there
is a question as to whether the contract can be enforced using merely
neutral principles, but that isn't your argument here.  Rather, I take it
that your objection rests on a non-discrimination principle.  Where is the
discriminatory legal principle at issue?