On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 7:39 PM, <hamilto...@aol.com> wrote:

>  Isn't the answer to this question, Eric, that there is no single Sharia
> law?  Interpretation of Sharia "law" requires a court to pick and choose
> between Sharia doctrines.  It is not terribly different from the wide
> variety of Christian interpretations of the Bible.

Yes and no.  There is actually a distinction that is made in Islamic law
between sharia and fiqh.  Sharia refers to god's commands as they actually
are.  Fiqh refers to particular interpretations of those laws.  The fiqh of
a particular school of Islamic law may actually be quite fixed and
ascertainable.  Hence, if someone says something like "this contract should
be governed by sharia law as applied in Saudi Arabia" or "sharia law
according to the Habali school" the content of the rules may be pretty
determinate.  Furthermore, if one reads the term "sharia law" within the
entire context of the writing and the contract -- which is how one is
supposed to do contractual interpretation after all -- one may be able to
impute a particular school's fiqh to the term.  (Different schools of fiqh
dominate in different countries and often countries that include sharia law
by reference in legislation refer to particular schools of fiqh.)  Indeed,
Arabic makes a distinction between engaging in original interpretation of
the Quran and other sources of Islamic law -- ijtihad -- and simply
mechanically applying known rules without any interpretation -- taqlid.
 Hence, the analogy to varying Christian interpretations of the Bible is
just that, an analogy.  Depending on the the context, however, determining
the content of "sharia law" may actually be about as mechanical as
determining the content of UK law.