A good article appeared on this subject on Verdict (Justia) two days ago.
See"Can Public School Students Constitutionally Be Punished for Their Off-Campus
Comments on Social-Networking Sites or Blogs?" at
[http://verdict.justia.com/2011/08/17/can-public-school-students-constitutionally-be-punished-for-their-off-campus-comments-on-social-networking-sites-or-blogs/]

[http://verdict.justia.com/2011/08/17/can-public-school-students-constitutionally-be-punished-for-their-off-campus-comments-on-social-networking-sites-or-blogs/]
http://verdict.justia.com/2011/08/17/can-public-school-students-constitutionally-be-punished-for-their-off-campus-comments-on-social-networking-sites-or-blogs/
[http://verdict.justia.com/2011/08/17/can-public-school-students-constitutionally-be-punished-for-their-off-campus-comments-on-social-networking-sites-or-blogs/]

[http://verdict.justia.com/2011/08/17/can-public-school-students-constitutionally-be-punished-for-their-off-campus-comments-on-social-networking-sites-or-blogs/]

It brings back bad memories of Morse v. Frederick (2007). Such an anti-liberty
case.

Balancing again? Oh my the SC is too weighted in favor of government.

While I disagree with Jerry Buell's viewpoint, his comments (a) were made on his
own computer on his own time in the privacy of his home, (b) on a topic of
current public concern, (c) were brief and relatively mild (compared to hate
speech) and (d) not targeted at any specific person at Mount Dora High School --
leads me to come down squarely on the side of the teacher's right of free
speech. Long live Tinker.

Bob