I will try to write more clearly since so many posts seem to me at least to be
ships crossing at night.

I think it would help if we distinguish three things. There are burdens on
religious liberty which may not require justification under statutory law or
constitutional law but which might justify discretionary accommodations. That,
after all, is what the Obama administration has done with its revised
regulations.  Here I find the suggestion that we should only provide
accommodations to religious individuals with the fortitude to maintain their
faith against significant duress to be strikingly inconsistent with the way we
think about dignitary interests and rights in other contexts. Rights and
legislative respect aren't just for the strong. They aren't reserved for heroes
and martyrs. They apply to the rest of us as well.

There are also "substantial burdens" that impose a burden of justification
under either statutory or constitutional law. Here, as Eugene as already noted,
there is free exercise case law that characterizes the payment of taxes that
the believer understands to violate his religious obligations as a substantial
burden. There is also Establishment Clause case law that for decades has
recognized a taxpayer's religious liberty interest in not having taxes used for
religious purposes. (Historically, earmarked taxes were the core problem here.)
One can challenge both lines of authority, but they certainly suggest a range
of legitimate understandings of what constitutes a substantial burden on
religion.

Finally, there is the question of whether the state can justify the imposition
of a substantial burden on religion (typically by explaining of the importance
of the interests furthered by denying an exemption and the lack of alternative
means to accomplish that goal.) I noted in my earlier post that the state has
strong justifications for denying tax exemptions in many cases. But this
regulation isn't a tax. Moreover, the allegedly modest cost for providing the
disputed coverage that Marty describes cuts both ways. It suggests that the
state's interest in imposing this mandate on religious institutions can be
achieved at little cost through alternative means.

Alan