From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Alan Brownstein
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 11:25 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Contraceptives and gender discrimination

Any legitimate issue can be manipulated politically. That doesn't stop it
from being a legitimate issue.

There is a religious left in this country. It frequently takes liberal
positions on culture war issues. Many of its members believe the
"contraceptive services" mandate raises a serious religious liberty issue.
Those of us who take this position certainly should be prepared to have our
views challenged on the merits. But it is more than a bit disconcerting to
be lumped together with Obama's opponents as "painting this as an assault on
religious liberty."

This issue has been litigated in state courts a decade ago. It was a
religious liberty issue than and it is a religious liberty issue now.

Alan Brownstein