A point of information about Hershberger that is relevant here to the
internal debate within the Somali community about what is required (per
what my colleagues who represented the Amish said.)  The Amish were
split on the question of whether they could, under their community
regulations, put an orange triangle on their buggies (the free exercise
objection), whether the state's later solution of a black and white
triangle with reflective tape was permissible, or whether they should
reject the triangle altogether.  As with Kiryas Joel, this controversy
caused rifts within the Amish community.  Perhaps that was in part
because the Ordnungen of Amish communities are apparently local, just as
the juridical schools that Muslims follow are often local or even
sub-local.

But, that's a religious freedom reason to try to work out a workable
administrative accommodation rather than relying on the courts to
resolve rights vs. rights cases, if one believes that part of the value
of religious freedom is the value of religious communities.

Marie A. Failinger

Professor of Law
Editor, Journal of Law and Religion
Hamline University School of Law
1536 Hewitt Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55104 U.S.A.
651-523-2124 (work phone)
651-523-2236 (work fax)
mfailin...@hamline.edu (email)

>>> "Volokh, Eugene" <vol...@law.ucla.edu> 3/7/2012 2:23 PM >>>

                Yes, State v. Hershberger, 462 N.W.2d 393 (Minn.
1990).

                Eugene