Just to add to my previous post in response to Marty's questions:

1.  Not all of the Muslim cabbies felt religiously obliged to refuse to carry
passengers with open displays of alcohol (or dogs) as I remember. However,
there was a fatwa issued by a local Muslim organization saying that they
shouldn't do it.  Since a fatwa is a legal opinion, it certainly provides legal
authority for the cabbies' insistence that they shouldn't do it; it wasn't
simply their personal view per se.

2.  Airport regulation 102 now provides that taxi drivers cannot refuse to take
a passenger unless he refuses to pay, is seriously intoxicated or is a physical
threat.  One provision of the section also prohibits drivers from refusing
service based on race, gender, religion, national origin, ethnicity, marital
status, disability, sexual orientation, or age, or having a service dog.

3.  The cabbies' appeal for an injunction was denied by the trial court and
upheld by Minnesota Court of Appeals in 2008 on the basis that they had an
adequate remedy at law--any license denial could be appealed and the cabbie
could keep his license in the meantime.  Dolal v. Metropolitan Airports Com'n,
2008 WL 4133517
  http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/09/09/muslim_cabs_court/

I couldn't find much recently about the effect on Muslims serving the airport
except this related news, in January, a major airport taxi company here fired
Somali drivers who protested the refusal of the company to sit down and
negotiate their working conditions
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collections/special/columns/news_cut/archive/2012/01/report_somali_cabbies_learn_pr.shtml

Marie A. Failinger

Professor of Law
Editor, Journal of Law and Religion
Hamline University School of Law
1536 Hewitt Avenue
Saint Paul, MN 55104 U.S.A.
651-523-2124 (work phone)
651-523-2236 (work fax)
mfailin...@hamline.edu (email)

>>> Marty Lederman <lederman.ma...@gmail.com> 3/7/2012 5:35 AM >>>
Can anyone point me to a good, thorough account of what happened in
Minneapolis, including (i) the explanations, if any, the cabbies offered for
why the lack of the exemption burdened their religious exercise (did it mean
they were unable to accept work as other forms of common carriers, such as
pilots, UPS/FedEx delivery employees, bus drivers, etc.?); (ii) how the
controversy was resolved as a matter of law; and (iii) what became of the
Muslim drivers after the exemption was revoked.

Thanks in advance.