Are we to do away with the common carrier rules that have prevailed for
centuries? Various businesses are different from one another and have long been
treated so according the law.  No one has a right to be a cab driver if they
cannot comply with the common carrier rules any more than people have the right
to be lawyers if they cannot comply with the requirements of our profession.

This is not an argument about whether those who control the cabs and make the
rules should or should not try to accommodate the demand to not carry someone
who has an obvious wine bottle in their possession but will carry someone who
has hidden it.  But it is not a right to be recognized as a constitutional one.
 We should not constitutionalize every demand for accommodation.  We can do a
lot (as indeed we do) through statutes and regulations even in the absence of a
recognized constitutional right.

--
Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
Associate Director, Institute for Intellectual Property and Social Justice

"There is no cosmic law forbidding the triumph of extremism in America."

Thomas McIntyre