Eugene,

My email keeps bouncing;

From: Paul Diamond [mailto:pauldiam...@btconnect.com]
Sent: 09 March 2012 15:08
To: 'Law & Religion issues for Law Academics'
Subject: RE: Discrimination against people with religious motivations for
their actions

With great hesitation, I enter this debate as a practitioner from the UK.

1.        Whilst Eugene is correct that a religious adherent cannot have
less protection that a person motivated by secular values, I would have
thought that 'motive' should be relevant.  Why shouldn't the religiously
motivated restaurant owner have greater protection under the First
Amendment.

2.       Under discrimination laws, 'motive' appears irrelevant (as the
focus is on the effect), but I think this is wrong.  To describe a Muslim
taxi driver as committing the 'sin' of discrimination appears dis-respectful
to religious as protected by the First Amendment.  A court finding of
discrimination based on religious belief is very damaging.

3.       I would also have thought that the Muslim cabbies would have
received First Amendment/ State law protection for 'reasonable
accommodation' for their refusal to transport alcohol carriers, because if
i) ' motive' is irrelevant, ii) unless the public accommodation law protect
those who are discriminated on grounds of 'carrying open alcohol' (like a
category such as sexual orientation)- why can't the cabbies lawfully
discriminate?

Paul

Paul Diamond, barrister

PO Box 1041 Barton