Marci:  As this thread has demonstrated, I certainly have concerns about
the nature of the "cooperation with evil" theory of substantial burden
being asserted here.  But the theory is anything but new.  It is also not
based on the notion that others' use of contraception would violate the
employers' religious liberty--indeed, I think most of these employers
likely assume that their employees will continue to use contraception
regularly in any event, albeit at a greater cost to the employees.

The claim here is that the employer's involvement in allegedly facilitating
the employees' conduct implicates *the employers themselves* in
wrongdoing.  As I've explained, I think this theory raises serious,
difficult questions.  But it's hardly novel.  It was the theory in *Thomas *(he
wasn't the one using the tanks to shot enemy soldiers).  It's the theory we
discussed on this list back in 1999-2000, when confronted by cases of
landlords who didn't want to rent to unmarrieds.  It's the theory raised in
the Posner and related cases about police protection of abortion
facilities.  And it's the theory underlying the current disputes about
proprietors -- B&Bs, florists, photographers, caterers, etc. -- who wish to
discriminate against gay couples.

Indeed, what makes it interesting and important is precisely that, post-*
Thomas*, so many different religious liberty claims take this form.