Chris:  You and Marc raise absolutely valid points about doctrine during
the Sherbert/Yoder era:  The argument I'm suggesting (I'm not advocating it
yet -- merely thinking it through) is in at least some tension with the
sheet-metal/turrets portion of *Thomas*, and perhaps the burden discussion
in *Lee* (I can't recall offhand what the Amish theory was about why the
Social Security taxes violated their religion, but I assume it was
something akin to the "cooperation with evil" theory being floated here;
although as Chip suggests, it also involved some aspect of double-payment).

So, simply in terms of what the right answer is or ought to be under RFRA,
the government will obviously have to contend with those cases, either by
suggesting (as someone here did) that perhaps RFRA did not incorporate
their burden analysis wholesale (I'm dubious, but haven't thought it
through), or that this case is distinguishable.

But I'm not simply asking what the "right" answer is under RFRA.  I'm
trying to address at least three other questions raised by these claims:

1.  Was Burger right on the turrets/sheet-metal point?  Should the courts
actually treat all religious *claims* of substantial burden uncritically,
without even asking whether and to what extent the claimant's own conduct
calls into question whether the burden is in fact substantial from the
claimant's own religious perspective?  If the courts do not differentiate
at all between the plausibility and strength of such claims, and treat all
alleged substantial burdens alike, is that a good thing for religious
liberty?  After all, it means that if the government were to voluntarily
give exemptions, or be compelled by the FEC/RFRA to do so, it would have to
cover a much, much wider class of claimants, with an accordingly much
greater cost on the government interest side of the ledge . . . which as we
all know means that many fewer exemptions will be afforded, in which case
the claimant with the "strong" objection is harmed by being lumped in with
the claimants with idiosyncratic or more attenuated objections.  (As we all
know, the courts have often avoided this problem by rejecting sincerity
claims -- something that rightly troubles many of us.)

2.  Regardless of what a court should do under RFRA, should a legislature
or administrative agency be sympathetic to such claims, and voluntarily
accommodate all such claims merely upon a claimant's say so of religious
burden, knowing that to do so would expand the class of exempted persons
dramatically?  (Cf. The decision of Congress/the Court to grant
conscientious exemption status only to those persons who have objections to
*all* wars, and not to those who object to participating in unjust wars.)

3.  Perhaps most importantly, but of course most sensitively, should
Catholic institutions be asserting such claims of impermissible cooperation
with evil when such claims appear -- not only to outside observers such as
I, but to virtually every serious Catholic thinker I've encountered -- to
be deeply inconsistent with the institutions' own conduct in analogous
cases and with common understandings of the moral doctrine?  At the very
least, isn't there some value in asking such institutions to articulate why
this particular use of funds is immoral and other, seemingly analogous uses
are not, if only to encourage the institution to be more critical and
candid about how the HHS Rule actually affects Catholic institutions.
(Please note that I am *not* here suggesting that the Rule has no effect on
such institutions, or that they do not sincerely find it odious --to the
contrary.  I am merely pressing upon the common and powerful claim that "it
puts us to the untenable choice of complying with the law or violating a
religious injunction.")