Re: Chris Lund's question about Lee -- The Amish take care of their own who
are disabled or no longer able to work.  They didn't want to pay twice --
once for FICA contributions, and again in their own community.  And the
FICA contributions were earmarked for just that use.

Employers objecting to the ACA mandate are not concerned about paying
twice.  They want to be immune from even the appearance of support for
these services, even in a context where they can openly condemn the
services.  The religious entity employers (who can refuse to hire those who
use such services) don't even have to pay once.  They just want to be
entirely out of the causation loop between ACA  policies and the provision
of pregnancy prevention services.

Many taxpayers would like to be out of the causation loop between paying
taxes and financing causes they find deeply immoral -- the death penalty,
some or all wars, etc.  Of course, we can handle this on the compelling
interest side (need for uniformity), but the question of attenuation and
distance between the status (employer, taxpayer) and the conduct remains.
The question does not disappear because the claimant says so.

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Christopher Lund <l...@wayne.edu> wrote:

> Can I ask a quick question for people like Marci, Marty, and others who
> doubt the existence of a “substantial burden”?****
>
> ** **
>
> What about *United States v. Lee*?  The Amish object to paying Social
> Security taxes.  The government makes them.  The decision to use the taxes
> for Social Security is the government’s, not the Amish.  The Amish say,
> “Well, we object to giving you money to pay for that.”  The Court says
> there’s a burden.  Isn’t this case just *Lee *again?  What am I missing?
> (If I’ve missed earlier posts discussing this, I’m sorry.)****
>
> ** **
>
> Best, Chris****
>
> ** **

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053