From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu [religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu]
on behalf of Volokh, Eugene [vol...@law.ucla.edu]
Sent: Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:33 PM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics (religionlaw@lists.ucla.edu)
Subject: RE: New Twist On Challenge to ACA Contraceptive Mandate

                This might just be my ignorance of the ACA, but I’m puzzled:
How is a father “deny[ing] his 18 and 19 year old daughters on his insurance
policy coverage for contraception” by insisting that any such policy not have
such coverage?

I had assumed that once my children are 18, I would have no obligation to get
them insurance, or anything at all.  I might well still get them such insurance
(I do love them), but if I choose not to, I thought that this choice wouldn’t
be “deny[ing]” them anything, just as my choice not to buy or lend them a car
wouldn’t be “deny[ing]” them a car.  And if I give them an insurance policy
that’s not as good as the one they’d like (or that the government thinks they
ought to have), I still wouldn’t be “deny[ing]” them the better coverage – I’d
just be giving them, with no obligation on my part, something less than what
they’d like (just as my buying them a car without air conditioning wouldn’t be
denying them air conditioning).  Or does the ACA impose such an obligation on
the parents of 18- and 19-year-old adults?

                Eugene