The difference between the college scenario that Greg raises and the health
insurance scenario may be the universal entitlement to the latter that the
ACA creates.  As others have said, the Missouri plaintiff is not obligated
to have a family health insurance policy, nor is he obligated to include
his children on his policy. But if he left them off his policy entirely,
they would have to buy health insurance on their own.

But this plaintiff wants it both ways.  He wants the benefits (lower
premiums, information) of the family policy for his non-minor daughters,
but he wants to exclude them from coverage of pregnancy prevention
services.  It is that move -- keep the family policy benefits for himself,
while imposing on his daughters the separate costs of pregnancy prevention
services to which the daughters are otherwise legally entitled -- that is
the externality imposing event.

Cutter does not say all externalities are fatal -- it just says that RLUIPA
(and by implication, all RFRA's) should be construed with third party costs
in mind.  In the Missouri case, the third party costs might be sufficient
to force a construction that denies the exemption.

Indeed, if courts are disabled from measuring the substantiality of the
burden, as many plaintiffs argue in these ACA cases, there is all the more
reason to let third party costs operate as a significant check on exemption
claims.

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 4:08 PM, Douglas Laycock <dlayc...@virginia.edu>wrote:

> This scenario is occasionally litigated, without the religious twist, in
> bitter divorces. Dad refuses to help pay for college, or refuses even to
> fill out the financial aid forms, and the courts say he doesn’t have to.
> The support obligation ends at 18.****
>
> ** **
>
> That obviously doesn’t fit with the realities or expectations of middle
> class life, and I think a few states have changed it by statute. But that’s
> the background law that underlies this discussion.****
>
> ** **
>
> Douglas Laycock****
>
> Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law****
>
> University of Virginia Law School****
>
> 580 Massie Road****
>
> Charlottesville, VA  22903****
>
>      434-243-8546****
>
> ** **

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053