Brad is exactly right in his distinction.  This case is easily distinguishable
from the case of the taxi cab driver (which has been previously discussed on
the list) or other services for which there may be no other reasonably
available substitute.  Nor is it similar to those cases in which it may be
challenging to protect the conscience rights of the individual while
guaranteeing that the particular service is still available (as discussed with
regard to pharmacists and nurses).  Every indication is that there were plenty
of photographers in New Mexico who would have willingly taken pictures of the
same-sex wedding ceremony.  From the factual description in the opinion, it
appears the photographer was very polite in expressing her religious views and
why she would not photograph the ceremony (and even thanked the plaintiff for
inquiring about her services).  Thus, it is clear that the only reason the
photographer was pursued was
 because the plaintiffs were insistent upon using the law to force her to
actively participate in a ceremony which violated her religious beliefs.

I find it intriguing that the NM Supreme Court made a point of saying that
although public accommodation businesses must comply with the New Mexico Human
Rights Act, "such businesses retain their First Amendment rights to express
their religious or political beliefs.  They may, for example, post a disclaimer
on their website or in their studio advertising that they oppose same-sex
marriage but that they comply with applicable antidiscrimination laws."  How
far does this reasoning really go?  Does it mean that a photographer is free to
express her religious and political viewpoints as much as she wants in a
business context so long as she still provides the photography service?  For
instance, what if a wedding photographer expresses his/her religious beliefs by
prominently posting the following in the studio:

"Our owners and photographers are faithful _________ [fill in the blank:
Christians, Muslims, Orthodox Jews etc.].  As part of our religion, we firmly
belief that homosexual / same-sex sexual behavior is immoral and sinful.  We
believe that marriage is the union of one man and one woman and that any event
claiming to be a "marriage" between two people of the same sex is an
abomination.  That being said, we are required by the terms of the NMHRA to
photograph even ceremonies we consider abhorrent.  However, because photography
can convey the message that a photographer consented to or approved a
particular ceremony, we reserve the right to include a disclaimer on each and
every photograph that we take disclaiming any consent or approval of the
particular ceremony and stating our religious positions.  We also reserve the
right if photographing outside the studio to publicly display signs and wear
clothing expressing our religious convictions and
 disapproval of the ceremony.  The rights herein reserved are not limited to
same-sex ceremonies but specifically cover any type of event to which the
photographers have a religious or political objection.  Photographs on which
the photographer choses to place a disclaimer may not be displayed or otherwise
used without the disclaimer included at all times."

The opinion appears to bless such an approach when it says that "Elane
Photography is free to disavow, implicitly or explicitly, any messages that it
believes the photographs convey."  The NMHRA prohibits a public accommodation
from "mak[ing] a distinction, directly or indirectly, in offering . . . its
services."  So is any disclaimer or similar message ok under the Court's ruling
solely provided that the photographer actually takes the pictures?  Or do
others interpret the Court's language on this point differently?

Will

Will Esser --- Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam
Private Practice
Charlotte, North Carolina