Not all couples are fortunate enough to have that sort of leeway, Brad.  I've
heard of couples who take a very long time deciding between two photographers,
and usually settle on the one that's cheaper.  In fact, the big thing these
days is "Hey, let's get Uncle Bob to bring his new Nikocanon 5D800 2000
megapixel camera, and he can send us a CD of the images, and we can take them
to Walmart to have them printed out!".  I once heard of a wedding where the
couple gave out disposable cameras to all the attendees, then collected them
afterwards.  They don't want to spend the money on "Professional"
photographers.  And with the advent of high quality digital cameras, wedding
photographers are finding it harder and harder to make a living.  In fact,
Smugmug (photographer's website) offered "How to shoot gay weddings" seminars
on the day the SCOTUS overturned Prop 8 and DOMA.  That could make the
difference for a lot of photogs out there trying to pay the rent/mortgage.

A professional photographer is providing a service, Brad.  A good professional
photographer who enjoys their work can certainly be pleasant at your
wedding--and remember, if your photographer is grumpy, your portraits are going
to reflect that.  It's professional to be upbeat, even when you discover that
one of the kids poured punch in the Pelican case you left open, and ruined a
$5000 camera body.

I have no clue who your photographer was, nor if you knew them personally
before hand:  It's obvious you had a good one.  I hope you paid them well,
because obviously they made an impression on you.  But no matter what you
require of your photographer, in the end they are doing business.  And if your
photographer was gay, and surly because you got to marry the consenting adult
of your choice, and he couldn't, then he should not be in the wedding
photography business.  Because if he'd said no because he doesn't do straight
weddings, you know that he'd be brought up on discrimination faster than hell,
and rightly so.

As for the comments about various other types of photographers, it was meant to
be humor.  Wildlife/nature/landscape photographers get out there and get the
images without regard for the fact that if religious standards were applied to
nature, they'd have to stay inside.  I suppose it is a bit convoluted, and
rather inelegant. BTW, "tree orgies" is when the pines and cedars put out huge
pollen clouds.  It's reproductive, but at a distance.