I haven't listened to the tape and don't intend to. From the short written
story, probably they should both be embarrassed.  The lawyer behaved badly,
and Posner over reacted.

Big firm lawyers sometimes expect special deference from lower court judges.
Sometimes they get it. Maybe he thought he should/would be allowed to
interrupt or equivocate. But Posner was the wrong judge to try that on.

Back in Neolithic times, when I clerked at the Seventh Circuit, we had an
antitrust case with a complicated statutory interpretation question -
complicated principally because the statute wasn't very well drafted. The
facts were simple. In those days vertical price fixing was a per se
violation, but there was an exception for state fair trade laws, and the
question was which state's law applies.

A partner from Sherman & Stearling came out from New York to argue the case,
and seemed to think he was visiting the less educated provinces. He drew a
panel of Stevens, Cummings, and Sprecher, which was about as good a
three-judge panel as you could draw anywhere in the country in those days.
And Stevens had been an antitrust lawyer.

But the guy was completely condescending. He brought an easel with an
outline map of Missouri and Arkansas, showing a wholesaler in one state and
a retailer in the other, so that they could understand this complicated
choice of law problem. He went way over his time. His tone and demeanor was
condescending. Cummings was a soft touch presiding and let him get away with
it.

Posner obviously would not - not in that case and not in Notre Dame's
either. Jones Day should have been able to learn that with the tiniest bit
of homework. Wyzanski was worse; he would berate and humiliate lawyers who
didn't meet his standards.

The only safe thing for lawyers is to play by the usual rules. But if you
think you can create an exception, you have to know what judge you are
talking to.

Douglas Laycock

Robert E. Scott Distinguished Professor of Law

University of Virginia Law School

580 Massie Road

Charlottesville, VA  22903

     434-243-8546