Yes, Scott, that is one part of ND's claim -- that the form not only
notifies the government and Aetna/Meritain of ND's objection, but also
"sets in motion," or "triggers" or "enables" Aetna and Meritain to offer
independent coverage.  As I've discussed at greater length here --
http://balkin.blogspot.com/2014/01/not-quite-hobby-lobby-nonprofit-cases.html--
that argument seems to me to prove way too much, as it might be raised
in any number of cases (exemptions from the draft; judicial recusal; a
pharmacist who refuses to dispense a drug) in which the objector's
objection is what "triggers" the obligation of someone else to do what the
objector will not.

And as to the argument that the certification form is technically an
"instrument" of ND's own plan, I'm not sure why that would matter in the
complicity analysis but, in any event, that's why Posner asked the hypo in
which that is not the case . . . and counsel said ND would still have an
objection, even if the certification were sent directly to the USG and were
not a plan instrument.