The Supreme Court tried to step out of the interest-balancing business in
*Smith*, in part because it was terrible at it. We should let it get out of
that business to the extent possible. As a religious person myself, I don't
like it when the court decides how substantial a burden something is on my
religious practices. How could the courts possibly assess that?

I'd feel differently if I thought that religious groups were incapable of
protecting their interests in the political arena. But that's hardly the
case (before or after *Smith*). Religious rights groups have proven
themselves quite capable of participating in the political economy just
like every other lobbying group. But the nature of the political economy is
that you win some and you lose some. And when it comes to balancing the
interests in prohibiting discrimination and in women's health issues vs.
religious liberty, I think the legislatures are at least as well situated
to battle it out on those specific issues than the courts are.

To illustrate: it strikes me that one of the reasons that we have a
contraception mandate in the first place is that republicans basically
decided not to participate in the crafting of health care reform, leaving
it to democrats to cobble together the most left-leaning health care reform
act they could pass at the time. That's a political choice, and they are
entitled to it; surely had they succeeded in blocking passage altogether,
it would look wise (from their perspective) in retrospect. But I suspect
that had they opted instead to participate in the drafting, they could have
slipped in some language that would have prevented the agency from imposing
the mandate as part of some kind of bargain.

I think Mark Scarberry is correct that these cases present a new sort of
issue because they apparently pose a challenge to Catholic and evangelical
Christian beliefs, who represent a huge swath of the population (unlike
peyotists, orthodox jews, amish, santeriaists, and so on). That's all the
more reason to believe that the political system ought to be able to sort
this out. We aren't talking about insular minority groups, after all. Let
the 2014 and 2016 elections be a referendum on the contraception mandate,
in part. Let religious interest groups use this issue to get out their
vote, just like those who advocate for anti-discrimination laws and
contraception coverage can use it to get out theirs. That's a better idea
than asking nine (very smart, but hardly apolitical) lawyers to fight it
out.

Further, I'm not moved by the argument that the logic for the contraception
mandate could apply just as well to abortion. Under the Court's logic in
*Sebelius*, Congress could impose a broccoli mandate (with a tax penalty)
if it chose to, but it isn't going to because people aren't interested in a
broccoli mandate. Congress can do all kinds of stupid things. The reason
that it only does some of the stupid things that it *could* is that they
answer (imperfectly, of course) to the people. The American people probably
aren't interested in an abortion mandate, so it isn't going to happen.
That's the bulwark; not the courts. These are political/policy questions,
and I have no idea why anyone would think that the courts are particularly
well situated to resolve them.

To be clear, I'm not taking a substantive position on religious objections
to the contraception mandate or anti-discrimination laws. I'm honestly not
sure how I would vote on those as a legislator. It would likely depend on
what the package being offered was and what I understood the reality of the
situation to be. That's precisely the point: these are issues that a lot of
people care a lot about. Let's not ask the courts to resolve them for us.

Kicking this kind of question to the courts--which, again, have shown
themselves to be terrible at dealing with them--through broad-sweeping RFRA
type language seems to me an act of political cowardice. Sure, it is a nice
club to bludgeon some government officials with, but that's not a very
compelling argument for it.

I don't blame the drafters and supporters of the original RFRAs, by the
way. I supported RFRA at the time. But in retrospect, I surely wouldn't do
it again given its possible reach. Each time Doug and others assure us that
these new RFRAs really aren't that big of a deal because they only reach a
small set of cases, I am left to wonder. How could we possibly know that to
be the case?