I have a question for those who have religious beliefs opposed to the
contraception mandate. I do not mean this question as a provocation, but
rather in the interest of helping me to understand the problem. Suppose a
religious employer knows with 100% certainty that an employee will spend a
small amount of her income on contraception. I take it that this does not
violate a religious belief. How is that different from directing a
percentage of the employee's salary towards health insurance, which will
cover contraception?

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 8:15 PM, Steven Jamar <stevenja...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can get behind liberty.  Can you (and others) get behind equality?
>  Often they work together, but sometimes they are in serious conflict.
>  State sanctioned liberty to exclude and discriminate against denies
> equality to some.  State sanctioned and enforced equality limits the
> liberty of some who want to be free to exclude on liberty grounds.  State
> prohibition of discrimination on the basis of race, gender, age, and
> religion mean in no small part those people are at liberty to do things and
> to participate in things they could not without the anti-discrimination
> laws -- so it increases their liberty (and equality) at the expense of some
> liberty of others who want to treat some as less equal.
>
> It is not an easy calculus nor is consistency possible.   But there are
> values in the constitution beyond liberty and free exercise.
>
> Steve
>

> --
> Prof. Steven D. Jamar                     vox:  202-806-8017
> Director of International Programs, Institute for Intellectual Property
> and Social Justice http://iipsj.org
> Howard University School of Law           fax:  202-806-8567
> http://iipsj.com/SDJ/
>

> "I don't know whether the world is full of smart men bluffing
> or imbeciles who mean it."
> -- Morrie Brickman
>
> On Mar 11, 2014, at 3:18 PM, K Chen <tzn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  I indulge in the fantasy that liberty is a founding belief that we all
> can believe in and come to reasonable compromise but
> reality continuously disabuses me of the notion.

Hillel Y. Levin
Associate Professor
University of Georgia
School of Law