From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Hillel Y. Levin
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2014 9:59 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: Re: "Divisiveness"

Chip:

I am in total agreement of your analysis, except that I think there is a third
way. That would be for legislatures to consider religious exemptions when they
enact individual laws (as they did before Smith, and after as well). The
results would still be inconsistent over time ((1) sometimes the legislature
will grant an exception; sometimes it won't; and (2) courts will still have to
resolve disputes on the margins), but at least they would have a majoritarian
pedigree on the whole.

We tolerate all kinds of legislative inconsistency because we understand that
political interests change over time, issues that seem similar may appear
different at the time of enactment, lobbying groups gain and lose power, the
legislators themselves change over time, and so on. We don't demand consistency
of legislators the same way we do of courts. Legislators are allowed to be
inconsistent (within some broad due process/equality boundaries, I suppose).

We could still quibble about the role of courts in this system. They'll still
have to resolve some kinds of disputes, no doubt. Which side should they err
on? Should their guiding principle be to force majoritarian engagement? Reverse
the burden of legislative inertia? Etc. But at least we would have legislative
guidance beyond "do good stuff when it comes to legislative exceptions," which
is what RFRA yields. This abdication of policy-making responsibility by
legislators is indefensible.

Eugene can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think his proposed common-law
approach to religious exceptions points in this direction.

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Ira Lupu