My apologies if I missed this in past list traffic on the
subject, but I just wanted to check my understanding:  As I read it, under an
existing executive order, http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/statutes/eo11246.htm,
federal contractors can't discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, or
national origin, but religious institutions are exempt from the ban on
religious discrimination, when it comes to discriminating in favor of
"individuals of a particular religion" (sec. 204).  The President's new
executive order,
http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/07/21/executive-order-further-amendments-executive-order-11478-equal-employmen,
 bars federal contractors from discriminating based on sexual orientation and
gender identity, but does not extend the sec. 204 exemption to sexual
orientation discrimination.  One argument against this order is (in effect)
that sexual orientation discrimination should be treated more like religious
discrimination (in the sense of being exempted when done by a religious
institution) than like race discrimination (which is not exempted even when
done by a religious institution).

Do I have the facts right on this?  I'm setting aside here what the right
answer ought to be; I just want to make sure I'm not misunderstanding the legal
scheme.  Thanks,