Sorry, that was too flip:

Obviously, if a religion literally excludes, or excommunicates, persons of
a particular protected class, such as blacks, then perhaps black people
would literally not be "of [that] particular religion" and the 702
exemption by terms would kick in.  But that scenario-- highly unlikely ever
to occur, and probably not contemplated by the legislators-- would be
directly contrary to the understanding in the Senate Managers'
section-by-section analysis, which has longed been respected as
authoritative w/r/t 702 (see page 31 of the 2000 OLC opinion).

I trust we will not see a case such as that -- where a contractor claims
that gays or blacks simply cannot be members of his church -- but if and
when we do, I suppose it will be just another one of those cases in which
we'd need to ask whether clear legislative intent trumps a statutory lacuna
in an unlikely situation that the legislators could not have specifically
imagined.