The section 702 exemption, and the virtually identical section 204 of the
EO, allows employers to prefer employees "of a particular religion."  There
is a serious question, I think, whether an employee's noncompliance with
particular tenets, or conduct rules, renders an employee not "of a
particular religion," as *Little v. Wuerl* held.  Many might accuse me of
being a less-than-perfectly-observant Jew, and a Hassidic employer could
certainly say:  "I won't hire Lederman, since he's not Hassidic, and we
hire only Hassids."  But it would sure take some gall -- and be legally
quite dubious -- for an employer that hires "Jews only" to refuse to hire
me on the ground that I am not "of the Jewish religion."

But be that as it may, let's assume *Little* is correct, and that a
qualifying employer -- which, btw, most certainly does *not *include most
government contractors who happen to be religiously motivated -- can
generally insist upon tenets and conduct compliance by its coreligionist
employees.  Even so -- and this is the critical point --* it cannot do so
when that tenets or conduct rule itself violates another of Title VII's
prohibitions, other than the ban on religious discrimination*.  If the
religion teaches that women can't work out of the home, or that men should
receive higher wages because they are heads of households, or that
adherents should not sue their employers for discrimination, or that it
sinful for women but not men to have sex before marriage, or that it is
sinful to marry people of a different race or religion, etc., the
qualifying employer *cannot *invoke the 702/204 exemptions to justify
penalizing its employees for violating such rules.  (And all the cases
confirmed this conclusion, at least as of the time I worked on that 2000
OLC opinion -- I haven't checked lately to see whether there have been any
contrary holdings, but I've never seen one cited.)

*Boyd *is consistent with this:  The court there held that an employer --
and this is true not only of qualifying religious employers! -- can fire
employees for engaging in adultery (if memory serves), because "adultery"
is *not a protected title VII characteristic*.  But the court there noted
(again, if my memory is accurate) that if the employer's religion made it
sinful for only one sex to engage in adultery, then acting to enforce that
tenet would be a form of prohibited sex discrimination to which the 702
exemption did not apply.

Similarly, employers today arguably can, as far as federal law is
concerned, "exclude employees . . . based on conduct that . . . expresses
one’s sexual orientation and gender identity," but that is because such
characteristics have not yet been added to the prohibited grounds of
employment action) race, sex, retaliation, etc., listed in title VII.
 (Actually, the EEOC has recently opined that sexual orientation
discrimination *is *a form of sex discrimination prohibited by T7 -- but
that's a subject for a whole 'nother thread.)  *Any* employer can
discriminate against gays and lesbians (assuming the EEOC view does not
prevail and Congress does not enact ENDA) -- they don't need the 702
exemption, because there's nothing from which they need exempting.

But if T7 were amended to include "sexual orientation," as the E.O. now has
been, then the coreligionist exemption would not offer any justification
for discrimination against gays and lesbians, even if the employer's
religion forbids their conduct and/or orientation.