Oh, sorry.  You started with a descriptive question of what the E.O. does;
I didn't realize that now you're asking the normative question of whether
it *should be *treated like all the other criteria other than religion (as
it is under the E.O.), or whether there should be an exemption for this
form of discrimination that doesn't apply to the others.

You raise BFOQ and the 702 exemption -- but neither is an apt analogy, I
think.  It's hard to imagine a "straight BFOQ" for government contractors,
isn't it?  And that's not what the fuss is about, anyway -- those opposing
the E.O. aren't saying that being straight is a bona fide OQ.

As for the 702 exemption, it does *not *give qualifying employers the right
to discriminate on other grounds for religious reasons -- or even the right
generally to discriminate on the basis of religion.  (A 702-exempt employer
can't have a "no Catholics allowed" rule, for instance.)  But the exemption
that some sought in the E.O. would have categorically allowed such
employers to discriminate against LGBTs.  There's no analog for that in
current antidiscrimination law, far as I'm aware.