If a science professor started professing against science -- and make no
mistake, intelligent design is contrary to science -- I suppose it would be up
to the academic discipline process to get him out of the classroom before the
accrediting authorities learn of it.

I am reminded of a story told to me by a professor of biology at Brigham Young.
 He said that one semester, on the day of the big evolution lecture in intro to
bio, a professor from the religion department sat through the lecture.  Later
he got a formal notice that he had been called to account before the
university's "honors and standards" board, which enforced the school's rules on
adherence to LDS standards.  He was informed that he had not been teaching
creationism, and there was a formal complaint.

Serious stuff.  The board could dismiss even a tenured professor for violating
church teachings.  So he carefully mustered the case.

At the hearing, he pointed out that the high councils of the church had debated
evolution and creationism in the 1950s.  Future church president David O. McKay
was appointed to make the case for evolution, and future Sec. of Agriculture
and church president Ezra Taft Benson made the case for creationism.  The
debate was before the president then (Joseph Fielding Smith, if my memory
serves) and the Council of the Twelve, the very highest authorities in the LDS
Church (the president holds the title Prophet, Seer and Revelator).  At the end
of the debate, the Prophet encouraged the apostles to pray for guidance.  After
some time, weeks probably, he announced that the prayers from guidance had not
been answered with a call to creationism, and so evolution would be taught in
the church's schools, in the science classes, and the church would have no
policy against evolution.

Upon checking the records, the honors board excused the biology prof, and he
learned later the religion professor had been relieved of his job.  He'd
confessed to teaching creationism as church policy, which, since it is not LDS
doctrine, fell into the category of "teaching false doctrine."

One of the great dangers of making religious claims, rather than science
claims, is that one may not point to the literature, nor to the lab experiments
done by cutting edge researchers, nor those repeated in the lab sections of
science classes.  One steps out on faith when one makes religious claims
against evolution.

So they shouldn't be made in science classes, by honest people of faith.  IMHO.
 Your mileage shouldn't vary.

Ed Darrell
Dallas