"no one is talking about discrimination against gay and lesbian people as
such"

That assertion is simply incorrect.

In opposing ENDA, the Family Research Council complained that, under it,
"[y]ou can’t decline to hire a homosexual for religious reasons."
Similarly, in opposing the recent Utah legislation, the FRC objected that
it "leaves profit-making businesses ... vulnerable to being forced to hire
homosexual and transgender persons."

Last I checked, FRC was still a pretty major player in conservative
circles. Among other things, it sponsors the annual Values Voter summit
that routinely draws leading Republican presidential candidates (Mitt
Romney, among others, attended in both 2011 and 2012). I would have
expected Ryan to be familiar with FRC's position given that he has appeared
on its radio program at least twice in recent years, including one
appearance that was all about opposing ENDA.

And it's not just FRC that frames the discussion in terms of opposition to
gay rights in general, not just same-sex marriage.

The sponsor of a recent RFRA bill in Oklahoma proudly states on the front
page of his website that "homosexuals do not have the right to be served in
every store." And as I mentioned in my earlier message, the sponsor of the
failed Arizona RFRA amendment indicated that hotel owners might be allowed
to refuse to rent rooms to same-sex couples.

This is not just about marriage. Rather, for many opponents of same-sex
marriage, that opposition is part of a larger fight against what FRC
President Tony Perkins has decried as the normalization of homosexuality.

- Jim