Is there information about Gordon College more recent than this:
http://www.worldmag.com/2015/03/review_board_gordon_college_accreditation_not_at_risk

The IRS is already under tremendous political pressure over treatment of
political advocacy groups.  The idea that it will choose now to go after
religious colleges because of their teaching about sexuality is
preposterous.

Yep, no one can give assurances 10-20 years down the road.  Perhaps
colleges that permit sex between unmarried students will lose their tax
exemptions then.  I guess it depends on who is in power, and how restrained
they are about unleashing the IRS for their own cultural and social
purposes.  But if it hasn't happened in 30 some years, that might be a bit
reassuring.  If you are still afraid despite that pattern, I think that is
your problem, not the government's.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:48 PM, Michael Worley <mwor...@byulaw.net> wrote:

> Chip and James,
>
> Why aren't threats to take away accreditation (at Gordon College)
> indicative of future tax-exempt issues?  I'll stipulate the IRS hasn't
> extended Bob Jones a bit since, but I suspect you could say the same about
> any accreditation fights.
>
> What logic (even if you disagree with it) supports Gordon College losing
> accreditation but not tax-exempt status, other than "Congress won't do
> it"-- which may not be true in 8 years time (It may be true, it may not be
> true)?
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:40 PM, James Oleske <jole...@lclark.edu> wrote:
>
>> "As far as I know, no one thinks these schools will be in danger
>> immediately"
>>
>> Professor Michael Greve, in a piece on the Law and Liberty blog that has
>> been excerpted favorably in relevant part on the CLR Forum, argues that the
>> threat will be immediate on July 1 if the Court rules in favor of same-sex
>> marriage. For the reasons I give below, I don't think that is correct.
>>
>> Could it be an issue in 2022? Possibly, but the fact that Democrats have
>> never tried to extend the prohibition to sex discrimination in the three
>> decades since Bob Jones makes me skeptical that this rule governing
>> nonprofits is going to be a priority in future efforts to combat
>> sexual-orientation discrimination. Almost all of the talk by Democrats in
>> this area has been about combating discrimination by for-profit businesses,
>> not nonprofit religious organizations.
>>
>> - Jim
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 7:26 PM, Michael Worley <mwor...@byulaw.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know, no one thinks these schools will be in danger
>>> immediately, but the accreditation issues arising (Gordon College, for one)
>>> seem foreshadowing pressure on religious schools to change their policies
>>> on sexual orientation.
>>>
>>> Why should we be confident in 2022 under a democratic congress and
>>> President, they won't put pressure on the same schools that have had their
>>> accreditation threatened (Gordon and perhaps others) using the "tax-exempt
>>> status" hammer?

>> Please note that messages sent to this large list cannot be viewed as
>> private.  Anyone can subscribe to the list and read messages that are
>> posted; people can read the Web archives; and list members can (rightly or
>> wrongly) forward the messages to others.
>>

> --
> Michael Worley
> J.D., Brigham Young University

Ira C. Lupu
F. Elwood & Eleanor Davis Professor of Law, Emeritus
George Washington University Law School
2000 H St., NW
Washington, DC 20052
(202)994-7053
Co-author (with Professor Robert Tuttle) of "Secular Government, Religious
People" ( Wm. B. Eerdmans Pub. Co., 2014))
My SSRN papers are here:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=181272#reg