I have been following this thread with interest, given that I have been doing a
significant amount of research on homosexuality and Judaism.  A few thoughts
based on this perspective-

1) The discussion regarding tax exemptions has relevance not only for
Conservative Christian but also for Orthodox Jewish educational institutions.
On a general level, Judaism is believed to be counter-cultural by most of its
traditional authorities (including some authorities who do not denominate as
Orthodox).  This means that the beliefs of the rest of society are irrelevant
even if those beliefs constitute the majority perspective.  That said, the
parameters of Jewish lawmaking can be fuzzy especially when it comes to social
issues such as this with a very public presence.  Inevitably, although in
theory the law does not change (according to the most traditional authorities),
there is definitely a social factor in its application.

2) With respect to homosexuality specifically, there is an explicit biblical
prohibition against homosexual behavior (interestingly, that biblical
prohibition applies only to male behavior but the rabbinic tradition extends it
to lesbian acts as well).   According to Jewish law, biblical prohibitions
carry more weight than rabbinic prohibitions, but both are seen as within the
authority of the tradition.

3) Given this explicit biblical prohibition, it is hard to imagine that even
according to the most lenient interpretations of Jewish law by Orthodox
authorities, Jewish same-sex marriage (known as "kidushin," meaning
"sanctified") will ever be possible.  Interestingly, many gay Orthodox Jews not
only understand this reality but also support it because they see this
limitation as a part of the tradition they otherwise hold dear.   When an
openly gay rabbi with an Orthodox ordination performed a same-sex marriage a
few years ago (a civil ceremony with Jewish trappings), this triggered mixed
reactions even among gay Orthodox Jews.

4) Recent discussion has surfaced about whether Orthodox Jews can support gay
rights in the secular political arena and this has triggered mixed responses.
Orthodox Jews are far from a monolithic group. There are Orthodox authorities
who see a distinction between Judaism's religious views and secular political
issues involving homosexuality (including homosexual marriage).

5) On the tax exemption issue, I may be mistaken but it seems to me that
same-sex marriage is not the only issue that can potentially surface in
connection with homosexuality.  When the Conservative movement considered the
issue of gay marriage back in 2006, the issue of rabbinic ordination also
arose.  Today, both Reform and Conservative rabbinic schools invite and permit
openly gay people (men and women) to apply for admission. A recent article in
Tablet Magazine discussed how LBGT issues are now getting traction at the
Modern Orthodox Yeshiva University in N.Y. ("Out, Proud, and Kinda Loud at
Yeshiva University"), but I can't imagine that a conventional Orthodox yeshiva
would ever support ordination for openly gay men who engage in homosexual
activity.  And speaking of discrimination, no woman (gay or straight) currently
can be ordained as an Orthodox rabbi and I highly doubt that mainstream
Orthodoxy will ever change this.

Roberta Rosenthal Kwall
Raymond P. Niro Professor
Founding Director, DePaul University College of Law
Center for Intellectual Property Law & Information Technology

Author of The Myth of the Cultural Jew: Culture and Law in Jewish Tradition
http://amzn.to/15f7bLH

 You can view my papers on the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at the
following