Eugene is exactly right.

For many conservative Christian (Evangelical and Catholic) colleges, any
intimate homosexual relationship would fall under a more general prohibition
against sex outside of marriage. These schools believe all sex outside of
marriage is unbiblical, a violation of one of the Ten Commandments as well as
numerous New Testament passages. Such conduct is grounds for counseling,
discipline, and potentially expulsion.

Furthermore, several Christian Colleges have gone back to the Dept. of Ed. to
receive new exemptions from Title IX after the Administration announced in 2013
that it believes Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of gender
identity. See, e.g.,
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/25/us/transgender-student-fights-for-housing-rights-at-george-fox-university.html?_r=0;

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2014/07/25/2-christian-colleges-win-title-ix-exemptions-give-them-right-expel-transgender.

Such colleges have informed the Dept. of Ed. that their religious faith
prevents them from granting transgendered students’ requests to be assigned to
dorms based on their gender identity. Other schools have said that their
students are subject to discipline for “persistent or conspicuous examples of
cross-dressing or other expressions or actions that are deliberately discordant
with birth gender.”

In other words, there are already real conflicts between federal law (or at
least federal agencies’ positions on federal law) and the religious convictions
and practices of Christian colleges and universities.

As Doug Laycock has noted, there is something new and earth-shattering about
both the HHS Mandate involved in Hobby Lobby and the movement to
constitutionalize same-sex marriage:

And then there is Hobby Lobby, which has also been widely misunderstood. The
owners of Hobby Lobby believed they were being asked to pay to kill babies. I
wouldn’t characterize it that way, but if that’s what you believe, that’s a
very serious thing. For the first time in American history, government had made
it unlawful, at least if you were an employer, to practice a well-known
teaching of the largest religions in the country. The same-sex marriage debate
has the same feature. This attempt to suppress practices of the largest faiths
is a new thing in the American experience. And this huge escalation in the
level of government regulation of religious practices is of course producing a
reaction from religious conservatives, and is part of the reason for the
current polarization.

See
http://religionandpolitics.org/2015/04/01/why-law-professor-douglas-laycock-supports-same-sex-marriage-and-indianas-religious-freedom-law/#sthash.EiHub8sx.dpuf.

It is a really big deal that political figures today (including Solicitor
General Verrilli and presidential candidate Hillary
Clinton<http://www.nationalreview.com/article/417448/hillary-clinton-religious-beliefs-have-be-changed-accommodate-abortion-joel-gehrke>)
 are openly considering using the law to coerce religious groups into either
abandoning or at least agreeing to violate their religious
convictions—endorsing, paying for, or facilitating violations of  bedrock moral
principles like “do not kill” and “do not commit adultery.”

Eric

[cid:image001.gif@01D08344.F5D64720]

Eric N. Kniffin, Of Counsel

Lewis Roca Rothgerber LLP

90 S Cascade Ave Suite 1100 | Colorado Springs, CO 80903-1662

(T) 719.386.3017 | (F) 719.386.3070

eknif...@lrrlaw.com<mailto:eknif...@lrrlaw.com> |
www.LRRLaw.com<http://www.lrrlaw.com/>