I agree with Marty that the Eighth Circuit failed to grapple with the doctrine
in key respects. But when he says that "Churches have not been constitutionally
eligible to receive government grants -- especially selective grants -- for
many decades," I think he might be overstating the extent to which the lower
courts have agreed with his interpretation of Mitchell and the other direct aid
cases.

An important counterexample is Am. Atheists, Inc. v. City Of Detroit Downtown
Dev. Auth., 567 F.3d 278 (6th Cir. 2009), in which the Sixth Circuit
unanimously upheld the inclusion of churches in a direct, selective grant
program. There, Detroit wanted to improve the appearance of a section of
downtown. So it encouraged property owners to renovate their buildings and
parking lots, and then reimbursed them for half the cost of the renovations.
All told, the City received 189 qualifying applications and approved 123
projects (of which 91 were completed). Nine of the projects were completed by
three different churches, and they included things like renovating a church
facade and steeple clock, and replacing church signs and covers over stained
glass windows.

Judge Sutton considered Mitchell and the other direct aid cases at some length,
and it seems, if I understand him and our fellow interlocutors correctly, that
he goes more with the approach described by Doug and advocated by Eugene than
with the approach described by Marty. I.e., he doesn't treat the distinction
between direct funding and other forms of aid as dispositive; he doesn't treat
Zelman as inapposite; and he distinguishes Tilton and Nyquist. In short, he
holds that as long as the aid is distributed to religious and non-religious
groups on in an evenhanded way, and does not have the purpose or primary effect
of advancing religion, it should be upheld.

I assume Marty would argue that the Sixth Circuit has simply gotten Mitchell
and the other direct aid cases wrong. But at a minimum, that would suggest that
his reading of those cases has not been fully accepted. Alternatively, maybe
Marty would argue that the grant program was not truly "selective." But when
there's a fairly detailed application process and 35% of qualifying
applications get rejected, that seems fairly selective--unless I'm
misunderstanding what Marty means by that term.

Message: 16