I appreciate Alan's points, but I don't see how they justify a
constitutionally mandated (or even required) system of discrimination against
religious institutions.

               1.  All laws, not just funding schemes, have potentially
disparate effects based on religion.  Regulations that apply to a broad range
of institutions have such effects.  Regulations of individuals have such
effects.  Certainly funding schemes that exclude religious institutions have
such effects, including disparate effects on different religious groups.  Those
groups, for instance, that find their general religious views sufficiently
aligned with the rules and curricula of public schools or of nonreligious
private schools aren't much burdened by the system that taxes everyone and
funds public schools (and maybe nonreligious private schools); but those groups
whose religious views are too sharply different from the mainstream, to the
point that they feel unable to use the public schools might find this taxing
and spending system to be quite burdensome indeed.  And of course regulatory
and funding schemes routinely have huge disparate effects based on race,
ethnicity, and sex as well.

Yet this isn't a basis for invalidating such schemes simply based on the
possibility of such disparate effects.  It shouldn't be a basis for mandating
(or allowing) religious institutions to be discriminatorily excluded from
generally available benefit schemes just because of their religiosity.

               2.  Even those who support the Sherbert/Yoder model, as I
understand it, wouldn't require exemptions any time there is some disparate
impact - they would require a substantial burden on religious practice, and the
great bulk of regulations that don't substantially burden religious practice
but still have a disparate impact based on religion would be constitutional.
Indeed, if Sherbert/Yoder scrutiny would be applicable whenever there is the
possibility of religiously disparate impacts, it's hard to imagine how such a
regime could be maintained.

               Eugene