The linked PDF of the cert petition (in 15-119) doesn't include the Appendix,
which reproduces the self-certification form. Can anyone provide an image
(front and back, if double-sided) of the current form?

Are petitioners right that in some cases they would have to locate and enter
into a relationship with a TPA that is willing to provide the four
objectionable drugs/devices?

Are they right that the certification is declared by law to be a formal
addition to their insurance plan documents that authorizes the TPA to provide
the drugs/services?

I realize Marty has said (if I understand him correctly) that employees of
religious employers with "church plans" won't receive these drugs/devices in
any event, but I think only one petitioner has a church plan. I still don't
understand which organizations qualify to have church plans.

It seems to me that the sending of a letter or simple notice stating an
objection is all that is necessary for the government to make sure the
drugs/devices are provided, if the government (which acts purposively to make
law through two branches) so chooses. [I say "purposively" because we know the
courts have "neither FORCE nor WILL." (All caps in original, I think.)]

A requirement that such a letter or simple notice be sent is the least
restrictive means by which the government may advance that interest; it's
pretty clear to me that HHS can require that. If HHS is demanding more, then it
isn't clear why RFRA permits it to do so.

Mark

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 1, 2015, at 6:42 AM, "Marty Lederman"