I don't quite understand why she needs to affirmatively seek relief under the
Kentucky RFRA. It's part of Kentucky law. The state legislature didn't exclude
this law from the reach of the state RFRA. If the Kentucky statute -- that
would otherwise require her to authorize the issuance of licenses --
substantially burdens her religious exercise, and if the legislature has an
alternative means of advancing an interest that it may or may not consider
compelling, then she need not comply with it. As a state official, I think she
has the right in the first instance to decide what Kentucky law requires. She
also has the right (and obligation) to take into account the concern that if
she doesn't authorize issuance of the licenses, then they may not be valid;
that could be a basis for instructing deputies not to issue them. If someone in
the Kentucky government with authority over her requires her to authorize the
issuance of licenses do so, then she would interpose the state RFRA, and a
Kentucky court would decide who is right as a matter of Kentucky law. Or a
Kentucky court might determine that licenses issued by deputies without her
authorization are valid under Kentucky law.

Of course the Kentucky RFRA can't override the 14th Amendment, but that may
miss much of the point.

What business does a federal court have in telling her that Kentucky law
requires her to authorize issuance of licenses, or in enforcing against her
Kentucky law, or in saying that licenses signed by deputies are valid under
Kentucky law despite her refusal to authorize issuance?

The only real questions for the federal court should be whether her even-handed
refusal to authorize issuance of any licenses violates the 14th Amendment's
equal protection clause and whether her refusal impermissibly burdens the right
of all couples to marry (when they can get licenses from other counties by
driving an hour). Perhaps if one of those issues is decided against her, then
the federal court could exercise jurisdiction to decide the state law issue,
but otherwise it seems to me that the federal court should leave the issues to
state officials and state courts.

If I were her, I would issue the licenses. Nevertheless, on both of those
constitutional issues I think she has the better argument.

As for Steve's claim that her refusal can only be based on animus (and his
rather outrageous invocation of the trail of tears, which was the path of some
of my ancestors), there is this statement in the majority opinion in Obergefell
(sincerely stated or not):

"Marriage, in their view, is by its nature a gender-differentiated union of man
and woman. This view long has been held—and continues to be held—in good faith
by reasonable and sincere people here and throughout the world."

As Eugene has pointed out, the Court in Palmer v. Thompson refused to hold that
the closing of swimming pools in response to a desegregation order was a
violation of equal protection. We can argue about how that case should apply
here, but it's hardly obvious that her claim of a right under the Kentucky RFRA
is an impermissible basis for her action.

As for Sandy's question whether political views control the positions of list
members, I'd suggest that opposition to Obergefell is not necessarily
political, and neither is a strong desire to protect religious conscience. Are
we all influenced by our substantive views (political or not)? Yes. But there
is also what I hope is an attempt to reach a principled position. I certainly
wouldn't encourage anyone to become a member of the Santeria Church or to drink
hoasca tea as part of a religious ritual, but I support the Court's decision in
both cases.

Mark

Mark S. Scarberry
Professor of Law