A very quick response to Brian, and then I will subside.

The law invalidated in Hunter v. Underwood had a "racially discriminatory
impact," which seemed to be the reason or at least a key reason that the Court
did not follow Palmer v. Thompson. (Also, it was intended to have that
disparate impact, and it was also intended to have a disparate impact on poor
whites, as compared to other whites.)

Again, I would authorize issuance of licenses if I were Davis, but her refusal
to authorize any licenses does not appear to have a discriminatory impact.

Here is what the Court said in Hunter v. Underwood:

"Citing Palmer v. Thompson ... and Michael M. v. Superior Court of Sonoma
County, ... (plurality opinion), appellants make the further argument that the
existence of a permissible motive for § 182, namely, the disenfranchisement of
poor whites, trumps any proof of a parallel impermissible motive. Whether or
not intentional disenfranchisement of poor whites would qualify as a
'permissible motive' within the meaning of Palmer and Michael M., it is clear
that, where both impermissible racial motivation and racially discriminatory
impact are demonstrated, Arlington Heights and Mt. Healthy supply the proper
analysis. Under the view that the Court of Appeals could properly take of the
evidence, an additional purpose to discriminate against poor whites would not
render nugatory the purpose to discriminate against all blacks, and it is
beyond peradventure that the latter was a 'but-for' motivation for the
enactment of § 182."

We could argue about the meaning of Hunter v. Underwood, but it seems clear
that it was important that there was a racially discriminatory (disparate)
impact.

Mark

Mark S. Scarberry
Pepperdine University School of Law

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 6, 2015, at 7:28 PM, "Brian Landsberg"