As I’ve said, it’s certainly true that the KY RFRA cannot affect determinations
of US Constitutional law. And because the district court did decide against her
on the US constitutional right-to-marry issue and did issue an injunction, she
is obligated to obey the injunction until and unless it is reversed, on pain of
being held in contempt. (Indeed, even if the district court erroneously ordered
her to authorize licenses on the ground that KY law requires her to do so, she
would have the same obligation to obey the injunction. It probably would not
have only a frivolous pretense of validity, per the Walker v. Birmingham
analysis.)

If it is reversed, then civil contempt sanctions will be eliminated to the
extent possible. Of course we don’t have a time machine so that her time in
jail for civil contempt could be undone, but she could not be held liable for
civil contempt conditional fines that had been imposed.

As we all know, she could still be held liable for criminal contempt even if
the district court is reversed. Walker v. Birmingham. A list member noted that
no one wanted to go there because it would make her more of a martyr. In any
event, it isn’t the plaintiffs’ call whether she will be prosecuted for
criminal contempt. The US Attorney can do so, and I believe the district court
might appoint a disinterested person to deal with the matter. The plaintiffs
cannot prosecute a criminal contempt – the Supreme Court held that very
clearly, I believe in the Vuitton case.

So, indeed, in order not to commit a crime, she must either obey the injunction
or resign. That is independent of the merits. My points dealt with the merits,
and with whether the federal court should interpret and enforce Kentucky law in
a case in which there is no diversity jurisdiction. I don’t see how the federal
court can find that Kentucky had a compelling interest in requiring marriage
licenses to be available in every county; is that a call for a federal court to
make, even if otherwise possible? Or that the legislature had no alternative
means of advancing such an interest, if compelling, without burdening Davis’s
religious exercise (or more appropriately her religious conscience). There
obviously are alternative means -- if that is the compelling interest -- and
under the Kentucky RFRA the legislature bound itself to use them rather than
burdening Davis’s religious exercise.

If I were her I would authorize issuance of the licenses, and if I were her
attorney I would be required to advise her to do so (though I could also
explain the law of civil and criminal contempt, as noted above, and tell her
that in the end the decision is hers).

That’s about all I have to say, though I may respond further to Steve, if the
press of other business allows me to.

Mark

Mark S. Scarberry
Professor of Law