From: religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:religionlaw-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Walsh, Kevin
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 7:31 AM
To: Law & Religion issues for Law Academics
Subject: RE: Assessing a Proposed Solution to the KY Case

I agree that only the office holder gets an exemption, not a unit of
government. My argument is premised on the office holder getting an
exemption, and so is Davis's.

Once an office holder is recused, the question becomes who carries out the
duties instead. That turns on who has legal authority.

If a federal trial judge recuses from a capital case because she cannot sign
a death order as a matter of religious conscience, the case has to go to
another judge. And that is so even though the recused judge has law clerks,
a courtroom deputy, and other assistants who sign pieces of paper under the
judge's authority. The judge's recusal takes out everyone in the chambers,
as they have no authority independent of her. As I understand Davis's
position on state law, the authority of her deputy clerks is related to the
authority of her office as the authority of law clerks is related to the
authority of the office of judge. The county clerk's recusal takes out
everyone in the office, as they have no authority independent of her. These
results follow from a _personal_ exemption, not one granted to _the office_
of district court judge or _the office_ of county clerk.

One pressure point on this position is Davis's understanding of state law.
Marty has set out another reading that, if correct, would make the law clerk
analogy inapposite. Deputy clerks can sign marriage licenses (whereas law
clerks cannot sign death orders). But if Davis is right about state law,
then the law clerk analogy holds. There is no more an Establishment Clause
problem flowing from the need to bring in another judge than there is from
the need to bring in another county clerk. If the substitution is seamless
from the point of view of the applicant, as it would be if implemented in
the manner I proposed, there are also no problems arising from the fact that
the other clerk's geographic location may be distant. The licenses still get
issued out of the recused clerk's physical plant, as if a substitute judge
were sitting in a recused judge's courtroom and using the recused judge's
staff.

Kevin