Between Stephen Prothero's highly accessible *Religious Literacy *and Pew's
survey <http://www.pewforum.org/2010/09/28/u-s-religious-knowledge-survey/> on
the topic, you will find a lot of back up for the proposition that most
American Christians know very little about the knowledge of their religion.
In a very real sense, the proposition that knowledge about Christianity is
in any way a requirement of Christianity is antithetical to the Evangelical
tradition, especially in it's Pentecostal forms. It gets worse: of the
reasonably common knowledge among Christians, much has significant
factional (that is, religious in nature) implication. For example, who
wrote the Epistle to the Hebrews? Well, scholarship and most of the
mainline churches would say someone other than Paul. Many of the
Evangelical churches will insist to their dying breath that such liberal
scholarship should be rejected and Pauline authorship is indisputable as a
matter of faith. Passing a college course that discusses the documentary
hypothesis can put people into serious dispute with their own religion.

Christianity is a religion that is obsessed with orthodoxy, an obsession so
deep that we consider it the normal way religions deal with issues. To try
to judge factually what beliefs make one an actual Christian is to be
perilously close to making normative declarations on whether one is a good
Christian.

Any judge that attempts to determine sincerity of a Christian on any
factual test so fraught is a fool or a chauvinist. Deciding on the *sine
qua non* of Christianity would be a stupendous judicial overreach
considering the history of schism on such a topic as old as the religion
itself. (Luke-Acts depicts, among other things, James and Paul having a big
debate on the requirements of Christians as to Jewish dietary law).

Judging the sincerity of a Christian as a Christian will necessarily have
almost nothing to do with one's consistency to any vision of Christianity
and everything to do with the rest of the standard toolbox we have for
determining whether people are lying to us.

-Kevin Chen