Dan -- I agree that Lukumi did not answer this question directly, but
didn't Yoder? Here's what the Court said about the issue there:

"A way of life, however virtuous and admirable, may not be interposed as a
barrier to reasonable state regulation of education if it is based on
purely secular considerations; to have the protection of the Religion
Clauses, the claims must be rooted in religious belief. Although a
determination of what is a 'religious' belief or practice entitled to
constitutional protection may present a most delicate question, the very
concept of ordered liberty precludes allowing every person to make his own
standards on matters of conduct in which society as a whole has important
interests. Thus, if the Amish asserted their claims because of their
subjective evaluation and rejection of the contemporary secular values
accepted by the majority, much as Thoreau rejected the social values of his
time and isolated himself at Walden Pond, their claims would not rest on a
religious basis. Thoreau's choice was philosophical and personal, rather
than religious, and such belief does not rise to the demands of the
Religion Clauses."

- Jim