Howdy Tim,

I tried -z at first, but it didn't do any of the things I specified with
-k. Just for simplicity to see if it would work, I did approximately -z
-k'notify-send "%s" &' but nothing ever popped up.

I wonder if I could get the date from the output and change it to epoc,
then compare with the current time -600. That would mean running a
script in a loop, but that's no problem. I just wonder about reminders
that are set with interesting syntax, if it will convert it to epoc
using date. Now that I've thought of this, I'll have to go try it lol.

I haven't ever been able to get anything to post on the Blinux list. I
tried three different emails, and none of my posts go through. I do run
my own list regarding the RPI called Stormux. It's for Stormux projects
like I38 and audiogame-manager,
and images based on Arch Linux ARM.

Thanks,
Storm

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 08:44:31PM -0500, Remind Fans wrote:
Hey, Tim here (I'm pretty sure we've crossed paths on the Blinux or Raspberry 
VI lists)

with reminders that pop up as notifications, if a notification
daemon is running, or speak them with speech-dispatcher if
not. The problem I'm having is it seems to want to repeat the
reminders all the time, showing all of them every time the
notify-send happens.

I suspect that you need to let remind run daemonized (without the
-q option), and specify a command to run using the -k option to
trigger your choice of reminder-presentation.  This can be a
shell-script that decides whether to run notify-send or pipe to
something like espeak/speech-dispatcher, something like

 $ cat ~/bin/notifyme.sh
 #!/bin/sh
 if notify_send_is_running
 then
   echo "$@" | while read c ; do notify-send ... "$c" ; done
 else
   echo "$@" | speech-dispatcher
 fi

and then you should be able to background something like

 $ remind -k"$HOME/bin/notifyme.sh %s &" ...

letting remind run once, fork into the background, and then issue
the timed reminders with just those items.

a way to have remind show all reminders that are valid for the
next 10 minutes, and skip the rest of them?

I'm not sure on that one.

-tim





_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

--
⛈🐲
Accessible low cost computers for everyone! https://stormux.org
Stormux Code Repository: https://git.stormux.org/storm/stormux
                         https://git.stormux.org/storm/configure-stormux
Stormux Shop: https://stormux.org/shop/
Get my public PGP key: gpg --recv-key 43DDC193
The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple 
problems look like large, complex ones.

Support Stormux: https://ko-fi.com/stormux

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to