Howdy Dianne,

Tk doesn't work with Orca, so not accessible to
me. I wanted to make sure this hadn't changed, so I tried installing it,
but when I run tkremind, I get the following error:

[storm@fenrir ~] $ DISPLAY=:0 tkremind
Error in startup script: couldn't execute "hostname": no such file or
directory
    while executing
"exec hostname"
    invoked from within
"set Hostname [exec hostname]"
    (file "/usr/bin/tkremind" line 27)

I used a small calculator example I found in tcl to test, and the window
opens, but nothing is read, so unfortunately tkremind isn't an option
for me.

I am using remind 4.2.5. The -a -k code does pop up a notification, but
it reads with a lot of \ characters added, it also includes the whole
entry, so it's kind of hard to pick up on the actual message. I thought
the %s meant that only the message would be sent through notify-send.

Thanks for the help, I'm at least closer than I was to getting it
automated. :)

Thanks,
Storm

On Fri, Jun 30, 2023 at 11:11:42PM -0400, Remind Fans wrote:
On Fri, 30 Jun 2023 22:28:24 -0400
Storm Dragon via Remind-fans <[email protected]> wrote:

I tried -z at first, but it didn't do any of the things I specified
with -k. Just for simplicity to see if it would work, I did
approximately -z -k'notify-send "%s" &' but nothing ever popped up.

That should have worked.

Another option is to start Remind using "tkremind", the graphical
front-end.  It has its own mechanism for popping up timed reminders
(using the -z0 server mode).

Something like this *should* work for your use-case though, assuming
you're using Remind 04.02.04 or later:

   remind -a '-k:notify-send "%s" &' ~/.reminders

The "-a" tells Remind not to print timed reminders immediately.
The colon before notify-send tells remind to invoke this command
only for background timed reminders; normal reminders will simply
be printed to the terminal as usual.

There's no way to tell Remind to issue any timed reminders within the next
10 minutes.

The "-z -k" choice should have worked too.  Don't know why it didn't; perhaps
you can run a test against this reminder file:

   REM AT 23:59 +1440 *1 MSG Ping every minute - %1

which should issue a reminder once a minute.

Regards,

Dianne.



_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/


--
⛈🐲
Accessible low cost computers for everyone! https://stormux.org
Stormux Code Repository: https://git.stormux.org/storm/stormux
                         https://git.stormux.org/storm/configure-stormux
Stormux Shop: https://stormux.org/shop/
Get my public PGP key: gpg --recv-key 43DDC193
Algorithm: Word used by programmers when they don�t want to explain what they 
did.

Support Stormux: https://ko-fi.com/stormux

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

_______________________________________________
Remind-fans mailing list
[email protected]
https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans
Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/

Reply via email to