On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 10:51 AM Jonathan Kamens via Remind-fans < [email protected]> wrote:
> On 1/16/24 08:35, taekoocair--- via Remind-fans wrote: > > However, I do have a script that pulls down two Google calendars (personal > and work) and converts them to Remind format. > > This is exactly what I'm looking for. Would you be willing to share said > script? > > There is ical2rem.pl, a Perl script I've submitted some > fixes/enhancements to over the years: https://github.com/jbalcorn/ical2rem > . > > However, in my experience it's extremely slow, and when I tried to do a > deep dive into why it was so slow in order to optimize it, it quickly > became too twisty-turny for me, and I eventually threw up my hands and gave > up. My recollection of what I found is that time/date and time delta > handling in Perl, or at least the implementations of them used by this > particular script, are both absurdly compute-intensive and absurdly complex > and therefore extremely difficult to optimize. Also, I seem to recall that > the really slow stuff was buried in a library that ical2rem.pl uses, not > in ical2rem.pl itself, so I couldn't improve performance by making > changes to the script itself. > > Because ical2rem.pl is so slow I wrote a Python replacement for it which > is like an order of magnitude faster but only has in it the exact > functionality that I previously used ical2rem.pl for, i.e., it doesn't > have nearly the flexibility that the Perl script does. If there is interest > here I suppose I can put it up in a public repo; if people want to hack on > it and submit PRs for additional functionality they need I am happy to > review and merge them. > > jik > > I'm the original author of ical2rem.pl. I agree that ical2rem.pl is slow and twisty - the data::iCal::DateTime module is just terrible. I have a todo to rewrite the whole thing that has been sitting in my inbox for...let's see....8 years? yikes. Heck, I want to rewrite it in python. But I use it in scheduled scripts, I never have to wait for it, so ... for my use case it is rock solid. I download and convert 13 calendars every hour. Been working here since...when did I write it? oh yeah. 2005. So...maybe I'll wait until it's an adult. :-) -- Justin B. Alcorn The views expressed are not necessarily my own, much less anyone else's PGP Fingerprint CCEB F776 C3FD 1050 C8DB 532E B8B9 BED7 7764 406C
_______________________________________________ Remind-fans mailing list [email protected] https://dianne.skoll.ca/mailman/listinfo/remind-fans Remind is at https://dianne.skoll.ca/projects/remind/
