> I would say the repeater system preformance is
> not nearly as good at it could/should be.
>
> For the most part 9 miles should be a cake walk on
> a well done VHF system as long as the portables
> have min 4 watt output.
>
> I would first turn my attention back to the
> repeater and antenna system.

It all depends on the building.  I work at a place that is only about 3 air
miles from a 100 watt two meter repeater.  If it was not for the walls I
could see the repeater antenna.  There is nothing wrong with the repeater
system.  On the second floor on the side near the repeater and only about 3
walls away from the outside I can not hear or access the repeater.  Tried
several HTs that are known to be working fine.  I can access the repeater
from atleast 10 air miles away with them.  The building has lots of
stainless steel panels and machinery and other big ammounts of   moter
control circuitry.  I can walk about 30 feet to an outside door and open it
and access the repeater just fine on the low power setting and even 300
miliwatts one rig puts out.