--- Virden Clark Beckman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mechanical fatigue; where the elements are formed
> this outer region is
> the thinnest as it is stretched the most in the
> forming process. Had
> this hole been drilled along the side it may have
> been a better choice
> as the thickness would be almost the same as the
> parent straight tubing
> however after this or any modification the material
> should be stress
> relieved as a precaution to prevent stress cracks
> from forming. This
> fatigue does not need to be induced by frost heaving
> but simple wind
> vibration may cause it to begin, having the screw go
> from the inside to
> the outside of the formed corner will help prevent
> the drilled hole on
> the thin (outside) side from opening outwards but
> the addition of a
> formed washer along the thin side will assist in
> keeping the material
> from opening over a wider footprint. I am thinking
> to try this without
> causing the mechanical stress drill across the outer
> curve and use thin
> bar stock twice the length needed with a insulating
> teflon or cpvc strap
> between the parallel sections a few inches from the
> end to secure the
> floating end and keep it from folding in the wind.

I have heard of people doing this by using stainless
steel hose clamps, instead of drilling and bolting.
Attach the clamp securely at the top or bottom of the
dipole, and use the "tail" as the extender.

I have never tried this, but it seems it would be
safer mechanically. Probably not as durable to weather
conditions.

Joe

To visit your group on the web, go to: