From: Laryn Lohman [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 9:28 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Adding "whiskers" to a DB-224?

Derek, my concern is mechanical, rather than RF.

Many moons ago, I received a brand new DB224 for the club, which was
soon to be installed at a new site.  Observing the fine new aluminum
elements, I saw that the drain hole was not in the bottom of the
loop, but rather up an inch or two from the bottom.  My infallible
wisdom dictated that a drain hole should be at the bottom.  So, I
made it so.

A year or two later we were getting a lot of noise on some signals on
the repeater.  Inspection revealed that three of the four dipoles had
physically broken, you guessed where, right where I had drilled the
small drain holes. :(

Having said all that, filling the hole with a good stainless bolt
like you did may prevent that kind of mechanical failure, I don't
know.  There are apparently stresses and fatigue going on there that
I don't fully understand....

Laryn K8TVZ

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Derek B. McIntyre"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have heard that adding whiskers to a DB-224 element
>
> Derek KC4FWC

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:

To visit your group on the web, go to: