jfrohoff wrote:

>>>Also add a commercial community tone board
>>>with DCS to keep things orderly.
>

> Can anyone explain the need for a community tone board and DCS?  I
> understand that some radios allow us to use the digital coded
> squelch, but why the community tone board?  Best I can tell from
> researching them on the net (and on repeater-buider site) is that
> they are used when a repeater owner wants to track usage by different
> groups of people, each assigned a different CTCSS code or DCS code
> (?), sometimes used for billing purposes.
>
> I am building up a first-time UHF reapeater/remote for local
> emergency use but am now a bit confused as to whether I am best to
> buy a simple CTCSS decoder or a whole "community panel"?
>
> Equipment obtained thus far is a Kenwood UHF TKR-850 repeater radio
> with Decible Products Duplexer. Thanks in advance for any comments.
> Jim K7RNR

The primary purpose is to allow the use of more than one tone/code on
the same system. This is all earlier tone panels would do.
Secondary purposes, usually reserved for newer panels, include usage
counts, CW identifiers, and remote control, either DTMF over the air, or
  by RS-232/modem.
Your TKR-850 will do just fine as long you don't care about usage stats
or remote control (I'm not too familiar with the -850 to know it's
capabilities, but the -820 was just a basic 8-tone board with
time-out-timer, no other functions.)

--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL