If the tag is changed according the manufacturers instructions,
 then yes you can change the FCC type acceptance number.  We used
 to do it all the time and according to the printed instructions
 from the manufacturer.

  If you don't believe, sorry but I believe I still have some of the
 paperwork to back up my statements.

  You are welcome to visit and read for yourself.

  73,

  Neil McKie