Russell:

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 19:47:45 -0500, Russell Filling wrote:

>im  about fed up with its tech
>support in flordia too ,  has anyone else   messed with programming   it
>through the radio

First off, both the RC100 and the RC1000 are ONLY programmable
via DTMF. I have one of each, and didn't have many problems.
The manual isn't written very well, but the basics aren't
very hard to grasp.

>.,  im convinced now the  COS  isnt  tripping the
>controller  , it says   tie  high  2-30 volts ,and tie low  0.0 -   0.5
>volts , but  holy hell ,

If the COS isn't triggering the controller, find out why.
Make sure you understand the meaning of negative and positive
triggering. Negative triggering means that when there
is an active input on the receiver, the logic of the COS
goes close to ground potential. Positive triggering is
the opposite. The COS is near ground potential when the
repeater is idle, and goes to some positive value (usually
more than 5 volts) when there is an activity.

Are you getting this from your COS signal?

>   i just cant seem to get the   micro computer in
>the controller to respond tothe   dtmf ,

It won't respond to DTMF until the COS is working.

>and it wount reset by grounding
>pin & 7  now  ,  so  i have a  $200  Cigar ash  box  .......    and  further

If you haven't been able to program it, there
won't be anything to reset :)

>more what is this  Hex to Dec  conversion   table the manual keeps refering
>to  ,  its  not a starndard one   cause  3C = 60   and  if  it goes  by 10
>sec  intervals thats 10 min  not  8 min   and  8 min is  48  or  30 in hex ,
>so where  doed   his hex chart fit  in  ,

Forget the chart unless you are trying to program
some unusually high value for one of the timers.

>im really getting lost and  am
>almost tothe point to  not recomend  this  product to  anyone else

What I would do (and have done) is first make sure
the repeater is working, and UNDERSTAND how each of
the 4 (COS, PTT, TX audio and RX audio) in/outputs work.

-Do you have to ground the PTT to transmit?
-Is the COS active high, or active low?
-Do you need a pull-up or pull-down resistor for COS?

Once you have these sorted out, now you have to set the
receive and transmit audio levels. Nobody said this is
easy! The DTMF tones going into the controller can't
be too loud, or too soft.

An oscilloscope is your best friend for tracking logic
and audio levels.

One other thing Russell, when you reply, could you
break your reply into paragraphs? I find your emails
really hard to read (I know it's just me!).

Tedd Doda, VE3TJD

Lazer Audio and Electronics
Baden, Ontario, Canada