Well, how 'bout a short history lesson?
Back around '76 or '77, the rules for repeaters changed drastically.
Prior to that, repeaters required a separate repeater license, which
required a vey lengthy application. The last few years of that repeaters
were issued WR callsigns, before that they were either the trustees call
or a club call. Then when it all changed, any ham with a tech or above
could put up a repeater at any time with no special license, just the
requirement that it ID with either /R or /RPT in morse, or the word
'repeater' in voice. Auxiliary links had to use /A or /AUX, or the word
'auxiliary'.
This rule is a carry over from that, to allow the use of those suffixes
if desired.

--
Jim Barbour
WD8CHL